Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Dreaded Finger Nails

For the first 20 or so months of Jack's life, I pretty much always waited to clip his nails until he fell asleep somewhere--in the car, on the floor, etc. Then we got to the point around the time he turned two that he doesn't really fall asleep in the car as much as he used to and his nails got longer, and longer, and longer. I finally had to start clipping them while he is awake and boy has it been a struggle!

We've tried everything--showing how we clip our nails, clipping one at a time throughout the week, holding him down crying. I always dread the day I notice that his nails desperately need to be clipped--it happens way too often!

Then this week happened. One night I laid Jack down in his crib and he said, "Mommy, clip Jack's nail." He has said this to us a number of times but then he generally pulls his finger away the second we get close with the clippers. But this time, I grabbed them and he actually let me clip his nail! Then he kept telling me which one's needed to be clipped, including his toenails! I was thrilled that he finally was desperate enough to let me clip them.

Two nights later I laid him down in his crib and he asked me to clip his nails again. So I took the opportunity to finish up clipping what I had missed before but if he asks again tomorrow...?

Needless to say, that boy is such a smartie pants.

No comments: